Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Appleseed – Single Part 1

“I am free without you
It's times like these that make me see
How free I'm gonna be without you

This is the end of the hypocrisy
Gonna watch it burn”
- Darling Thieves, “Free Without You”

"Say you want to stay, you want me to
Say you'll never die you'll always haunt me
I want to know I belong to you
Say you'll haunt me"
- Stone Sour, "Say You'll Haunt Me"

(I knew there should be more “single” lyrics, but didn't feel like finding some that weren't vindictive or hurtful. These will have to do.)

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." - Martin Luther King Jr.

[I went to an “Appleseed Shoot” a couple weekends ago (4/16-4/17). Without great detail, it was a 2-day event covering rifle marksmanship fundamentals, Revolutionary War history, and admonition to be a positive force in your community. You can find more info at www.appleseedinfo.org.]

(Disclaimer: Politics and firearm ownership are often highly-charged subjects. Over the course of our discussion, I will present my life the way it is with regard to these two subjects. You don't have to agree with the way my life is, but that's not what I want to write about.)

In a previous entry, I wrote about how I came to a greater understanding of the sacrifices made for my country and my freedom. I wrote about how I felt that the sacrifices I had made in my dating relationship were all for naught. After further consideration, there were a few other things I wanted to tease out of that snarl of thoughts and emotions.

Many years ago, people had beliefs that they'd fight for and people they valued enough to fight and die for. As I consider my life, I can pick out a few beliefs that I'd fight for. At a previous time, I would easily have said that I'd fight for Mary. Unfortunately, she apparently did not feel the same. I should be thankful that I am not called to fight for either my beliefs or my friends/ “significant other” on a frequent basis, and I am. However, sometimes I find myself wishing for someone for whom I could claim to fight, someone worth the effort.

In the relational sense of the word, I am definitely “single”.

Sometimes I'm pretty dissatisfied with “single” for any number of reasons. In true engineer fashion, though, I've attempted to dissect it for reasons I'm discontent and reasons I should be grateful. It turns out that God has almost deliberately put me in this spot. Without someone else in my life, it's time to move my life fast and far in a direction that pleases God. It's time to reconnect to my spiritual and “emotional” (for lack of a better word) roots, and to root out beliefs that will hamstring me in my future life.

To Be Continued...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home