Sunday, December 02, 2012

Faithfulness

"You are faithful
You never turn or change
Jesus, You are faithful to the end

You are faithful
Jesus, You are faithful to the end"

-Matt Redman, "Through It All"

Pastor Jesse taught at Shift a few weeks ago as part of our progressive series on the Fruit of the Spirit. His message was on faithfulness. Faithfulness is an interesting concept that Jesse illustrated from the book of Daniel. Not the fiery furnace as I might have expected, but rather the very beginning part, where Daniel and his friends are first taken to Babylon. Not only were they taken from their families, their lives, and their homeland, even their names were taken away. Rather than the names their parents had given them, names that extolled the one true God, they were given names that meant things like "God hates me" and "God has abandoned me."

Even in such depressing circumstances, though, they remained faithful. If you remember, they were told to partake in a diet that was likely against God's commands. Away from all that was familiar, reminded of their despair every time someone called their name, in a circumstance where nobody would have faulted them for such a small compromise, they still chose to hold to their values. This is faithfulness.

One of our discussion questions asked if we doubted God's faithfulness. Though I've seen some dark things in my life and sometimes wondered where God was, I really don't doubt. Even in the darkest parts of life, God has always been there to rescue me and redeem the evil for good.

No, it's not God's faithfulness that I doubt. Rather it's my own that's constantly in question. Faithful? Sometimes. Sometimes I'm cognizant of God's path for my feet. Occasionally, I even recognize it early enough to ensure my feet stay on it. It seems that far more frequently, though, I'm off meandering around in some meadow somewhere rather than following the path. Either the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, I can't see the fence, or mostly I'm probably just not paying attention. Whatever the justification, "faithfulness" probably isn't one of the dominant characteristics of my life.

Jesse further showed that faithfulness is rewarded with influence. Not only did Daniel and his friends look better after a trial period of their desired diet,the king then elevated them to a high position. A position higher than all the other young men in the same "leadership track". I've seen parts of this truth in my life, so I don't dispute it. I do try my best (at least I think I do), but if the best I can do is still not super faithful, then what? I don't think that I seek influence as a defining goal of my life, but will I forever be the wishy-washy follower?

Weird.  Thought-provoking

As if to add insult to injury, that weekend Pastor Jim was preaching about the first disciples. He was talking about how they were probably much younger than we think probably high school sophomores. And there's a reason the Bible didn't say Jesus took students. Students want to know what the teacher knows. Disciples want to be who the rabbi is. Even Jim said he didn't know anyone who actually was striving to be who Jesus was. For a while I was really disappointed, because I couldn't think of any way I was trying to be like a homeless Jewish person who loved everyone and wandered the countryside telling people about God.  I'm not faithful in much. Now in my late 20's, I don't feel I've done much with my life, and don't look much like Jesus.

Jesse started with a verse from Ezekiel about God looking for even one person who would be faithful and not finding anyway.

"I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one." -Ezekiel 22:30, NIV

Although sounding much the opposite, this is an encouraging verse because it means that God's willing to work with the unfaithful. He's willing to start wherever you are.  That's good, because "where I am" often doesn't have much to say for itself.

What are you faithful to in your life? 

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home