Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Christmas

As I was listening to the radio the other night, the hosts were discussing their respective Christmas shopping tasks.  One mentioned that "due to money matters", he was voting to postpone Christmas for a few weeks.  Of course, this prompted the rejoinder of "Yeah, I vote to postpone it too!  Until at least 2015!"  Of course, what was really intended was that he wanted to postpone the gift-giving part of Christmas.   Personally, I admit that I was close to postponing all of Christmas this year too, even having the opportunity to postpone gift-giving until New Years' if I chose .  Work kept me atypically busy right up until the 21st, leaving no time for planning, shopping, or much else.

Once my workload fell off a cliff, I compensated by spending a day and a half with absolutely no commitments and nothing but margin.  Only then did I move from "maximal efficiency-focused decision-making mode" to "relaxed enjoying-life mode".  Somehow, I fit in time with all my friends before they left, all my shopping (OK, enough of my shopping), serving at kids ministry, and a church service before leaving town to spend time with my family.

Having additional time margin allowed me to do some thinking as I ran errands, bought gifts, and re-stocked my fridge.  For example, I noticed myself postponing "traditional" activities like the overwhelming commercialization of Christmas in exchange things I actually wanted to do like spend time with people I value.  I suppose this is a natural effect as I come closer to being who I am - restructuring my life to act more according to my prioritization of quality time over gifts, for example.  This is a good thing, I think.

Still, I pondered.  It continues to be odd to me how people live for what's not important rather than focusing on what is.  Christmas decorations, probably not that important; unless it feeds something that actually is important like spending time with family.  In and of itself, is a "traditional" Christmas dinner super important?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  One of my friends often complains of going to Christmas Eve church with his family - why is that important?  Does Jesus love him less if he doesn't go?  I don't see that in the Bible. 

Even my Christmas was kind of odd.  For the last few years, I've served multiple services at Christmas and Easter, intending to attend church alone yet somehow ending up with friends.  This year, I only signed up for one service, leaving me margin to stay for more if required.  Though I was willing to stay longer, my staff worker sent me home, which I was pretty content with.  Kids ministry is fun, but it's not my life.  As I wandered over towards the auditorium, it became evident that this Christmas service, I'd be "alone in a crowd".  A usual feeling, but a little odd for Christmas.  One service serving,  one service worshipping sitting alone in the four thousand seat auditorium, another hour spent talking to my friends on church staff, and I was home.  Seemed to be far faster than previous Christmases and less stressful at the same time

It's OK, though.  My life is good.  Spending half a day drinking coffee and picking apart the shortcomings of the world with friends.  Staying up way too late with other friends.  Watching (and making fun of) movies with my family.  Trying out a new CD of swing music with my little sister at my parents' house, avoiding burns from the wood stove.  Waking up at 11 AM and wandering about town just to watch people.  These are the moments defining my Christmas, not shopping, returning, and re-gifting.  I'm all right with my choices.  I think they're quite OK.

These moments are what Christmas is about.  This is also what Christmas is about. (That writer often words thoughts similar to mine, but much better.)

Did you spend your Christmas on things that mattered or on things others told you that mattered?

Do I spend the rest of my life on stuff that matters?  That's a big question.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home