Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Fields White for Harvest, Part 2

(Read Part 1 first. It will make more sense. I promise...no, not really. :-) )

A short bunny trail here may clarify things. Three weeks ago, I visited a Bible study at UNC that is led by a couple of my friends. We manuscripted Luke 4, which is a melange of Jesus' interactions in different places with different people. Without transcribing every note from my manuscript, I would like to highlight a few things that God laid on my heart.

In verses 18-19, Jesus is reading from the book of Isaiah (emphasis mine): " The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because He has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, and to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor." It strikes me as I reread, that it's not just Jesus. God has sent His Spirit on my heart, to proclaim His good news. It is up to you, and it is up to me to tell about God's love to those who have never heard. Pastor Jay was talking in church on Sunday about how often the perception is that a "good church member" is one who sits in church and writes checks. The reality is that it is so much more than that. God has called us to take an active hand in His work. If we turn it down, He will still accomplish it, but we will not get the privilege of sharing it.

A few verses later (v.25-27), Jesus is "ranting" about how no prophet is acceptable in his hometown. During the days of Elijah, there were many widows in Israel, but Elijah was sent to a foreign land. There were many lepers in Israel, but Elisha healed Naaman the Syrian. The Pharisees thought they would be the closest to God, but in reality, they were ones that Jesus berated the strongest. Lastly, in verses 38-43, He heals many sick in one town, then leaves, saying "I must preach the good news of the Kingdom of God to the other towns as well; for I was sent for this purpose." (v.43)

I was thinking. Elijah and Elisha were called out of their usual way to bring the word of the Lord as He commanded. During worship at the beginning of the evening, we had sang that "These are the days of Elijah/Declaring the Word of the Lord...and though these are days of great trials/Of famine and darkness and sword/Still we are the voice in the desert crying/Prepare ye the way of the Lord!..." If we are the voice in the desert, who are we crying to? Who am I to be crying out to? Who is out of my way that I am called to go to?

At CBM the first time, I felt a little out of place. Out of the 6 students, the other 5 were "working the crowd" (to use a phrase from a different context), listening, talking, praying for people. Being the adept socialite that I am (that was sarcasm, if you didn't notice), I held back. At one point, Alli turned around and beckoned me to come over, but right then Sally (the "boss") came over and called me away to help. On the way home, I did some more thinking (dangerous, I know). This was one of the opportunities where I may have missed out on helping in God's work by not talking with those that He called me to serve.

This last Saturday, I was given another chance. Since last Saturday was the first Saturday of the month again, it was our responsibility to send people. Brian asked me if I was interested in visiting again, and I agreed without hesitation. I knew where I went astray last time, and as I rode into downtown, I prayed that God would put His hand on me and lead me along His path.

The situation was much the same as the time previous: sort food, then go downtown and wait. This time, though, I made a conscious effort to be "friendly". When you take a step God's way, though, He'll make a way. One of the other Mines students was also in my vicinity, and she's a better conversationalist than I am in most regards. There's a reason that Jesus sent his disciples out two-by-two (sorry, I can't think of the reference at the moment) - so that one can pick up the slack for the other. Erin and I visited with a fellow named Ryan, who shared his experiences working in Louisiana for FEMA until it was too depressing, then moving on. Three days earlier, he had driven to Denver to look for a job. Even though he'd had a rough start, he said that he really enjoyed the town.

After distributing the food we'd brought, I was visiting with a lady who'd come a little late. It worked out OK for her because she was able to take all the leftover food for the people in her building that were unable to come. She then started telling me about what God had done in her life. What an amazing story! God had brought her through multiple abusive relationships, healed her from drug addiction, and even gave her a daughter even though doctors had told her when she was young that she would probably not be able to have children.

I realized that while handing out food and listening to stories may not look like missionary work, this is where God has called me to reach out at this time. CBM has a ministry to the poor, the cold, the hungry, the homeless, the widows and fatherless - those that God has specifically called us to minister to. While I need to be a shining light on my campus,I am also called to go out of my way to serve God. We talk in our campus fellowship about serving God and loving others, but it's when we set out purposely with that agenda that God works. When I'm downtown ministering, there is very much a feeling that I am on God's "front lines" - a place where He is moving in people's lives. Loving others and talking about God becomes a practical exercise, not just of academic interest, "an exercise for the reader."

I leave you with a verse from Psalm 107: "Oh, that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men! He is good, and worthy of praise! Look for His wonderful works in your life today, my friend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good lessons. As always, I am blessed to read your words.

November 7, 2006 at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home