Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Story That's Not About Monotony

While not very historical (i.e., out of order), I have an interesting story to tell you today. Today, I could tell you a story about how my life is boring, but that would be a short story. My life tends not to be boring. I was reminded about God's call to my heart to rise above the "boring" things.

A few weeks ago, I was visiting some friends, and needed to email some schoolwork from my laptop. Sadly, the days of open access seem to be declining, and the school network where I was wanted a username and password that I didn't have. Thus began a saga that ended up to be about twice as long as necessary for me to transfer my file from my laptop to a USB drive, to a desktop, and lastly over email to the intended recipient. What my friend didn't realize is that not only do I
often think aloud, I usually have a running narrative directed at my computer when I'm trying to do something. (It usually goes something like "Come on...no, not like that!...stupid thing...do it this way...thank you...no, not like that...just do what I want...", etc.) I do it so much that I don't realize any more that it's audible to those around me (and there's usually nobody around me that really pays that much attention).

For these reasons, I caught myself when my friend asked what I was doing. If I recall correctly, I muttered something about "talking to the computer." She had an interesting response, though: "It's not the talking that surprises me. It's the passion." After having it brought to my attention, I noticed that I do indeed implore and disparage my computer at times with gusto.

The second part of the story comes at the IVCF Fall Conference this last weekend. Through a strange sequence of events, I found myself outside the room for the main session quite early (like half an hour early) Saturday morning. I was sitting there being quiet and thinking about
the teaching from the weekend when a young lady walked up and started visiting. As I'm sure you've noticed, when I have nothing else to say, I tell stories. She had asked me about my background, and I was telling her about some of what God had done in my life to bring me to where I am today.

Sometimes I tell stories about myself, but it's way more fun to tell stories about my God. My God is big, and He shows Himself to us in big and little ways. I enjoy hearing about how God has worked in other people's lives, and I also enjoy telling about how God has worked in my life. I was telling my new friend Rachel some of the awesome stories about God that I've seen this year, such as my friend Marc who chose his major just to better reach a certain people group for God, or the Crusade guys who have the prayer room and PB&J station set up in their apartment and leave the door constantly open as a ministry to the campus.

As I was talking, I got more and more into my story. Rachel stopped me short by saying something to the effect of "You're really passionate about this. I can see it in your eyes." I surprised myself with my response, though, as I said "Well, I guess I gave up a boring life long ago. You only get one time around on this Earth, and it's too short to live boringly."

As I was remembering later, I thought about how many times we go through life apathetically or half-heartedly. I think of the days where, for one of many reasons, I fulfill my obligations, but don't really pour all of myself into what I'm doing. Although I can't find it at the moment, I recall a quote that someone told William Booth to the effect that "The world has not yet seen what can be done by a man fully committed to God." Booth went on to found the Salvation Army. How many times are we not fully committed to anything, let alone God? How many days and weeks do I waste by being apathetic towards those around me?

It's not necessarily easy to be passionate for God in a dying world, though. We have an enemy who wants to steal your passion. It is sad that in this day and age "passion" is used more often for a heart's lascivious desire than for a heart's deep desire. (A parallel to the the corruption of the word "love" in our culture today.) I found out a few years ago the Arabic word for passion, and I was amazed.

The Arabic word for "passion" is Hamas. How sad that, in this world, what God gave us to make our hearts yearn for Him and His work of loving on people has been corrupted into a byword for terrorism and fanaticism! If we are supposed to be salt and light in a dark place, wouldn't it be an amazing witness to show people what Godly passion is!

As Dr. Seuss is supposed to have said, "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who care don't matter and those who matter don't care." Trust God with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight (Proverbs 3) Go out and live passionately and crazily for God. People will sit up and take notice, which will give you an opportunity to share "the reason for the hope that is in you."

I would challenge you to examine what your passion is for today. Is it for God? Are you seeking to love Him more? I know I often get distracted with things of this world including acheivement at school and trying to look good to others. These things are the straw and stubble that will burn in the last day. It is only work in God's power and for God's cause that will survive God's refining fire in the last day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really powerful. Whenever I read such encouragement, though, I always have to ask myself how to make it practical. What does it _really_ look like to live all out passionately for God? That's a question I'll have to answer for myself, bathed in prayer.

November 16, 2006 at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home