Monday, October 09, 2006

Lighter Moments at RMGA

Well, I've had a string of serious posts, and thought that it might be time for a lighter-hearted post. Here follows a list of quotes and/or anecdotes from the one, the awesome, and the only (this year) RMGA. Some may be inside jokes, I guess, but they were still funny to me.

-"Sick-rad!", the M.C.'s favorite phrase. I'm glad I wasn't trying to count occurences, because about every other thing mentioned was "Sick-rad".

-"Operation Front Row" ! This involved being crowded around the auditorium doors at least 5 minutes before the session was due to start. People would be delegated for different rows and different sections, and we had our seats secured within 45 seconds of the doors opening. Every time. Trust Mines kids to craft this one.

-"J-Who?" I must admit that it took me until Sunday to get this one. (If you're ignorant like me, it's a dig at JWU, which is apparently properly pronounced "J-Woo.")

When we split up by campus the first night, they combined Denver Metro (CSM, DU, Regis, Auraria, and JWU) into one group. As the weekend progressed, I started to see the benefits of this. Anyway, one of the first assignments was to come up with a song or rap that would describe your school. We're Mines. As my friend's father told me before I moved down here, "At Mines, left brain - Popeye arms. Right brain - pretty puny."

Someone had the brilliant idea to sing our school's fight song. Now, just because I'm Blue Key, and Bule Key is responsible for fostering school spirit doesn't mean I'm a fan of the school song. Nevertheless, pretty soon John Compton was up on a chair leading us all in "Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum/and sugar three hundred pound/The college bell to mix it in/And the clapper to stir it 'round..." It was supposed to be censored (the original lyrics are, shall we say, not incredibly edifying), but I definitely heard a few people who forgot. I had to laugh at the irony of singing about being "a rambling wreck from Golden Tech, a [sight] of an engineer" at a Crusade conference... I also had to laugh at the confusion about exactly which direction it was to Boulder. (Part of the song involves shaking your fist in the direction of Boulder) No other school had anything quite as cool as we did. :-) Yep, Mines pretty much rocks.

-Saturday night, I was sat down and taught how to tie my shoes by a DU student. Hey, I'm from Mines and only have a limited amount of brain cells. Said brain cells must be reserved for important things. It is weird having someone else tie your shoes for you, though.

-Seeing the following on the dry-erase board used to organize free-time activities: "AE [Advanced Engineering] Math Study Time"...

-Same marker board, the following series of comments:

  • "CSU and UNC girls want to play Ultimate"
  • "-and we don't [stink], at least at UNC"
  • "You should ask the studly boys from Mines"
  • "Meet at 3:00..."
(I couldn't make this up if I tried. Seriously!)

There were small informal competitions between schools all weekend. Friday night's competition was word association to song lyrics, and though the Denver Metro team strove valiantly (including flaunting Compton's "We Bust Ours - To Kick Yours" Mines T-shirt), the rambunctious (I'm being nice here) young ladies from CU carried the day. We were determined to win at least one during the weekend, and finally our chance came on Saturday morning. "Sick-Rad" Zach offered glory and honor to the first team who could bring up required equipment for Disc Golf. Zach's "required equipment" was a hat, a water bottle, and Chapstick. Well, remember "Operation Front Row"? Mines just "happened" to be occupying the front and center rows. John C. was in the front row with the hat and Chapstick, and I tossed my water bottle up to him to complete the set. We won almost before the question was completed. Go Miners!

-I was going to write about how sometimes cars to local destinations would be up to 60% over capacity, but I don't want to get nobody in trouble. You'll have to ask me about this one in person. All that I will say is that observing doughnuts from the trunk is I mean, must be pretty weird. Hmm...I wonder how a person would know that?

- The leader at the dance party describing particular dances as "where you Mines boys can actually dance with all the girls." What, do we have a reputation or something? There were Mines girls there, and maybe proportionally more than are at the school. Why the hate? Just because we're Mines doesn't mean we're obtuse. Oh, wait, I guess it does. Shucks. :-)

-Riding the bannister on the spiral staircase in the condo where we stayed. I wanted to do it all weekend, and finally did it just before I left on Sunday. Sweet!

-John Compton's cooking. As he put it, "As long as I can get spaghetti and PB&J, I promise nobody will starve." We sure didn't starve. Having 60 people attempting to eat 24 pounds of spaghetti noodles was just the start of the weekend. (24 lbs noodles + 37 lbs sauce + ?? lbs garlic bread = a ton of food for 60 people)

- "It's called chivallery." - An anonymous Miner describing why the men were eating breakfast outside and the ladies were eating inside.

Yes, we sure had a good time. These are some of the stories that I saw or participated in. God is good and life is good. Life with God is not good. It's more like super-awesome. RMGA was real. RMGA was fun. RMGA was real fun. RMGA had to end, though. Now it's all about putting it into practice.

Here end the chronicles of RMGA. I'm sure that I will be referring to it in times to come, though. I am planning on attending the next Cru conference, which will be in December. If I managed 7000 words from 2 1/2 days, imagine what I can do with a week-long conference! Bring it on!

Thanks for reading, as always! God be with you.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought it was very funny, and very true.

October 16, 2006 at 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fun times! I like being in on inside jokes like that.

October 16, 2006 at 11:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home