Thursday, December 29, 2011

Trains

"You're waiting for a train;
a train that will take you far away.

You know where you hope this train will take you,
but you can't be sure.

But it doesn't matter -
because we'll be together."
-Inception

The imagery that gives context to this bit of prose changed my perceived intent from affectionate to slightly sinister. Kind of like the movie itself. I've only seen it twice, although it's become one of my classic favorite movies. The first time I watched it, Inception was an enjoyable date movie. The second time around, it was probably a little heavy for a family Christmas afternoon movie. Both times, however, it's a good “thinking movie” and I've enjoyed it.

I disagree with the story's perspective on trains, though. My train, while not “the short bus”, is empty with only me waiting for it. Not sure where it goes or where I hope it goes. All I know is that occasionally I hear a train horn as if from a great distance.

I guess as long as it's not the long black train, it'll turn out OK.

“There's a long black train,
Comin' down the line,
Feedin' off the souls that are lost and cryin',
Rails of sin, only evil remains
Watch out brother for that Long Black Train

[...]

'Cause there's vict'ry in the Lord I say,
Vict'ry in the lord,
Cling to the Father and His holy name,
And don't go ridin' on that Long Black Train"
-Josh Turner, “Long Black Train”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home