Monday, October 03, 2011

Goodbye, Friend (or, Elegy)

The time has come to move on with my life. You’ve been a great friend and we’ve been through a lot together.

Near as I can figure, you’ve gotten me through 2 girlfriends, 2 college degrees, 2 1/2 churches, and 82,000 miles. We’ve taken many many trips to Windsor, Colorado Springs, Boulder, and around. Even to the other side of the state (Grand Junction) a few times and up into the mountains way more than I ever believed you’d go. We've been over or within spitting distance of two of the state's borders – neither of us had any reason to visit Nebraska or Kansas. There have been lots of sunny days but also a few days where I had no business being on the roads. You always took good care of me, though. I’m really sorry for the missing paint – totally my fault. Oh yeah, and the wheelwell left on the roadside – I totally didn’t see that rock. My bad. Someday, someone really should get you a new headlight – that packing tape has got to be annoying after a couple years. Innumerable friends have been given rides, in the spirit of those who have given me rides when I needed them. Hopefully you continue that in your new home.

Sadly, our friendship has been degrading as of late. You seem to require more and more attention, and my life just isn’t structured for that. I think you need to be friends with someone who can dote on you a little more. However, I’m sure I will miss you, especially on sketchy two-track dirt roads where a “car” doesn’t really belong.

Godspeed and stuff.

(On top of Monarch Pass, 2007)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home