Sunday, September 11, 2011

Story Seeds

I've realized that I have a problem that needs solving.

I've been catching up on my free reading lately. C.S. Lewis, Donald Miller, and others have made the recent list, and my stack of books now all sport little clusters of index cards/post-its marking interesting things.

Problem is, there's three books (none of which are mine – all are borrowed) each with probably 20 markers. I remember all those things being interesting, but have no way to track them, especially if I want to return the books (which I do).

So far, my best solution is to record all the excerpts into a file, and number them for tracking. After debating a numbering protocol to track title, author or other info, I think the simplest would just be a sequential “serial number”, with groups demarcated by title/author in my master file.

If you have any better ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Now when you start seeing numbered quotations on my blog entries, you'll know what they are.

1 Comments:

Blogger Emma Sue said...

First of all, you're nuts with your fancy numbering system. Secondly, you're darn right I want my book back. Finally, what I do when faced with this problem is go to amazon.com and send whoever lent me the book a new copy so that I can just forget the post-its and scribble all over the book like I wanted to in the first place.... FYI, the copy of the book you are currently reading WAS my cousin-in-law's that she lent me (the only reason for post-its instead of scribble), but when I ran into a)one of my children scribbling in it and b) figuring out what to do with my post-its, I just figured it would be easier to buy her a new one and keep this one. Good luck with this problem. Your solution sounds way too complex for me.

September 12, 2011 at 9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home